Based on Datamonitor's proprietary market data and insight into the leading fuel retailers, this brief provides you with an up-to-date picture of the service station retailing market in Hungary. In addition to outlining service station site numbers, fuel sales, competitor shares, c-store, car wash and automatic network data, it also details retailers' product offerings and future directions.
Features and benefits
- Benchmark your service station retail offer against the major national players in the sector by examining their number of sites, shops and car washes.
- Develop new marketing ideas for your service station shop, car wash and card propositions by examining the activities of other players across Hungary.
- Make informed pitches to potential partners by gaining insights into the major retailers’ networks, market shares, fuel throughputs and future plans.
- Assess overall market entry potential by accessing key market indicators including registered cars, national fuel volumes and average prices.
In 2009, the total number of service stations in Hungary increased by 2.7%. Most of the major players opened new sites, including Agip, MOL and OMV. Shell’s network increased by 51 sites, due to its acquisition of Tesco’s Hungarian service stations.
In 2009, total fuel consumption in Hungary declined by 1.0%. This has followed a period of sustained growth from 2004-08. Consumption of gasoline fell by 2.3%, although diesel consumption fell back just 0.1% in 2009 over 2008. Petrol prices declined by 17.9% and diesel prices declined by 24.8%.
At the start of 2010, 81% of service stations in the Hungary featured a shop. MOL has the largest network of sites with a shop in the Hungary, followed by Shell and OMV. These three players account for 58% of all service station shops in Hungary.
Your key questions answered
- Who are the top five players in the service station retail market and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash do they have?
- What is the market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in Hungary?
- How is the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as increasing forecourt shops and car washes?
- What strategies do the key players have across their fuel and non-fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, partnerships and suppliers used?