The sports nutrition market is benefitting from a rising global awareness of the importance of exercise, which has fostered distinct consumer segments. This report utilises data from Datamonitor’s Global Consumer Insight survey to identify the drivers of sports nutrition consumption and the key factors that will impact this market going forward
Features and benefits
- Identify the size and unique characteristics of specific sports nutrition consumer segments and how these segments are set to evolve in the future
- Evaluate the potential impact on consumer demand of marketing and product development through utilizing product, consumer and market insight
- Identify and capitalise on the main consumer trends that the report identifies as driving rising demand for sports nutrition products
- Gain a more relevant and strategic insight into the sports nutrition market from a dedicated focus on sports nutrition products
- Gain a detailed insight into key health and exercise trends from Datamonitor’s extensive annual global consumer survey
28% of consumers overall among the 20 countries that Datamonitor surveys are potential lifestyle users of sports nutrition products. The small proportion of total market spend that lifestyle consumers do account for is primarily directed towards nutritional bars and carbohydrate ready to drinks - these purchases are typically spur of the moment.
Sports energy drinks brands have responded to the different needs of consumers across the spectrum. In addition to their ongoing popularity among the 'core performance users' and 'regularly active' segments, they have permeated the 'occasionally active' and 'lifestyle users' segments – impacting both the health drinks and soft drinks categories.
In addition to generally higher exercise rates, a greater appreciation of health concerns is driving a rising propensity among consumers to purchase food and beverages that can help them towards achieve their health and fitness goals. Functional foods - including those residing within the sports nutrition category - are benefitting from this trend.
Your key questions answered
- How can demand for sports nutrition products be fostered among separate, distinct consumer segments?
- What are the key trends driving consumers’ propensity to purchase sports nutrition products?
- Should niche sports nutrition brands actively seek to broaden their appeal among non-core segments?
- How can sports nutrition brands effectively utilise marketing to emphasize product efficacy and maintain authenticity?